Tuesday, August 23, 2011

First Day of School!



I was going to wait for Daddy to blog about this, but I couldn't help myself!  Today was the first day of school all around, but I would say the biggest step is that it's the first day of Kindergarten for my sweet baby boy!  Jaden started at Hammond Elementary today.  Home of the Wolf Cubs!!!  I wouldn't say he was all that excited about it all summer.  We started talking about it in June and he wasn't feeling it!  Last night, we went to the Orientation and met  his teacher Mrs. Stern.  I was worried when he drew her because she seemed a little, hmmm, not as friendly when we met her back at the evaluation, but I've changed my mind.  Jaden seems to do better with the older ladies!  Mrs. Stern is a grandmother and that seems to come through a little bit.  Anywho, we found out last night that one of his baseball buddies, Shale, is in his class last night.  We couldn't get Jaden to walk into the class at first, but when we told him Shale was there, he went in and Shale came right up to him to say hi!  Shale's dad was one of the baseball coaches and I think that settled Jaden's nerves a little too!  So, he went in and checked out his room, saw his desk, met some friends and played with some blocks with Shale.  Then we took him to checkout the Cafeteria and Media Center.

That leads us to this morning!  We woke him up bright and earlier at about 6:50am to start getting ready and he said he was super tired and couldn't walk down the stairs!  We had breakfast, got dressed, brushed teeth and hit the road about 7:30am.  Traffic leading into his school was awful, but we parked and made it to his class just in time!  He was getting excited in the car and wondering what was taking so long.  It was cute!  So, we walked him into his class and we were allowed to go with him.  He put his little lunch box on the table, his backpack in the cubbie and headed over to his desk!  I'm pretty sure he said hi to Shale (who sits behind him) and he sat down and pulled out his crayons to start coloring!  I gave him kisses (yes, of course I did...he's not too old yet!) and walked out the door.  When I peeked in the through the window he was talking to the teacher and coloring as happy as could be.  He looked up and saw me and I mouthed I love you...and he said "Love You!"  And off we went!

I can say I didn't cry this morning because I was just so happy for him and proud of what a big boy he was walking in all on his own.  Now, last night was a totally different story!  As soon as my head hit the pillow the tears started flowing!  My sweet little boy is growing up! :(  

Now, on to the little princess! :)  Of course she did so well!  This is Brynna's first full year in preschool, but she did go one day a week for a few months last year.  Brynna is in the 3-year old program at Rainbow Garden which is the same school Jaden went to.  She was so excited all morning and when Daddy woke her up at 7:10am, she popped right out of bed ready to go!!!  So, we got her all dressed and ready and she brought her backpack to drop off Jaden even though she doesn't start school until 9:30am.  After we dropped off Jaden we came home for a bit and Brynna got to watch a little Hello Kitty and then we hit to road for her school!  As soon as we got out of the car, she wanted us to hold her (not totally unusual),  but she was a little hesitant about walking in class at first.  She was all smiles and excited, but a little nervous about her new teacher Ms. Michele, but once Ms. Michele came and took her hand, she went right on in!  She is in class with three of her friends: Emma, Blythe and Will and she sits at the table with at least 2 of them.  So, she sat down and got right to the business of building something!

















Both kids did so great this morning and I'm anxious to go pick them up!  Brynna gets picked up at 1:45pm (rather than the usual time of 2) so we can get over to Jaden's school and pick him up.  I can't wait to see them both!!! :)
 

1 comment:

Lauren said...

How exciting! I bet you were anxious to go pick them up and hear all about their days.